Saturday, February 16, 2008

Self-designed sweater

I finished the thick and quick sweater!
Photobucket

I designed this one after being frustrated with Twinkle Patterns, and their vagueness. It’s a standard top-down raglan with a garter stitch neck and a 1x1 ribbed bottom.

it's made from Lion Brand Thick and Quick on size 15's. It used about 2.5 skeins, so It's a really cheap knit. I bought the yarn on sale, so it only cost 12 dollars for the 3 skeins.

Here is a rough outline of the pattern. my gauge was approximately 2 stitches per inch. My bust size is roughly 36.

Cast on 56, and join for working in the round. Place distinctive marker for beginning of the round. Knit in garter stitch for 4 rows. K10, pm, k8, pm, k20, pm, k8, pm, k10 Increase round: Knit to 1 stitch before markers, kfb, slip marker, kfb all around, EXCEPT THE DISTINCTIVE ONE FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE ROUND. Knit 1 row

continue with plain and increase rows until the front is 34 stitches and the sleeves are 22 stitches.
bind off the 22 sleeve stitches (or put them on holders and make them longer

and from then on, do waist decreases increases at side markers as you like.

If you have questions, email me!


Photobucket


Photobucket

6 comments:

Ananda Devika said...

Saw you on craftster - love love love your sweater design. I'm teaching myself to knit, so once I get the basics down, I'm gonna try it! Love it! (Did I already say that?)

Thanks!

Rina said...

Beautiful... I really love that color! I have some Woolease Thick and Quick on hand and am going to cast on for this right now. Wish me luck!

Lindsay said...

Definitely trying this out.

Unknown said...

That's really really cool! THis is Nora by the way. I'm going to buy some cheap yarn and try and knit that. I'm not exactly the most talented of knitters, so I might wait till after I've mastered basic things like hats and such, but it's definitely something I'm going to try!

Nikki said...

Thats adorable!!!!

How much bigger do you think I would have to make it for myself? if I was...perhaps...A 40 inch bust...and liked my sweaters a bit bigger....??? :)

Whitney said...

Hi. I love this sweater you made and want to make myself one with the same yarn. I am a 34 bust and was wondering what mods you think would be needed for the pattern with that in mind. How much would you decrease the cast on, for instance?

Thanks so much!