Because I have really thick, curly hair, I often have trouble finding hats that look good on me. As a knitter, this is especially troublesome because I end up having to give a lot of hats away.
I bought this handspun at Cleveland's Bazaar Bizarre a few months back. I wound it up, And for a while I just sat and looked at it because it was so beautiful. I felt like nothing I could do as a knitter would serve it justice.
I finally decided to start a hat with it. I finished the hat with little to spare, and noticed it was far too big. I ripped it out and started again and found success.
Gauge= 3 stitches per inch
With US# 11s, I casted on 54 stitches and worked in 1x1 ribbing for about an inch.
To increase to the tam size, I knit 2, m1 all around. I knit in stockinette for about 3.5 inches.
After that, I decreased 1 stitch so I had an even 80 stitches. I knit 14, k2tog around.
Then, I knit 13, k2tog all around. Then 12, 11 and so on. When 5 stitches remained, I drew the yarn through them and fastened off.